BET YERAḤ


BET YERAḤ
BET YERAḤ (Heb. בֵּית יֶרַח), large Canaanite city on the shore of the Sea of Galilee extending over a tell of approximately 50 acres, from the site of the present-day moshavah kinneret , to the outlet of the jordan river from the lake near deganyah . This location is based on the Jerusalem Talmud (Meg. 1:1, 70a) which speaks of two autonomous cities surrounded by walls, Bet-Yeraḥ and Ẓinabri (sennabris ), in the vicinity of the Sea of Galilee. An additional reference is found in Bekhorot 51a, which states that the Jordan River "began" at Bet Yerah. Inasmuch as Sennabris is usually identified with Ḥaẓar Kinneret, it is probable that Bet Yeraḥ was situated on the site known to the Arabs as Khirbat al-Karak. Although not mentioned in the Bible, the name points to an ancient Canaanite settlement whose deity was a moon god. Excavations were conducted there in 1944–46 by the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society and, from 1949, by the Department of Antiquities and the Oriental Institute, University of Chicago. The earliest settlement at Bet Yeraḥ is dated at the end of the Chalcolithic and the beginning of the Early Bronze Age I (c. 3200 B.C.E.). The inhabitants lived in huts some of which were sunk into pits dug to a depth of about 11½ ft. (3.5 m.). Traces of pavements and ovens were found in the pits. The Map showing the site of the Canaanite city of Bet Yera in relation to the modern Oholo. After P. Delougaz and R.C. Haines, A Byzantine Church at Kirbat Al-Karak, 1960. Map showing the site of the Canaanite city of Bet Yeraḥ in relation to the modern Oholo. After P. Delougaz and R.C. Haines, A Byzantine Church at Kirbat Al-Karak, 1960.   erection of a brick wall, the first of Bet Yeraḥ's fortifications, was followed by the building of mud-brick houses and in the 29th century B.C.E. (Early Bronze Age II), stone houses made their appearance. A tomb from this period found at moshavah Kinneret contained gold ornaments in the style of Asia Minor. The settlement reached its zenith in the Early Bronze Age III (26th–24th centuries B.C.E.), when a large granary, 3,936 sq. ft. (1,200 sq. m.) in area, was constructed to the north of Bet Yeraḥ, indicating that at that time it was already the center of a large region of irrigated farmlands. The pottery of this epoch is light red or red-black burnished ware (a type common in Syria and Asia Minor) and its presence is apparently to be attributed to influences of northern peoples who penetrated through trade or invasion. In the Middle Bronze Age I the settlement was concentrated in the southern part of Bet Yeraḥ. No settlement existed there after that for about 1,500 years until the Persian period; to this period belong several graves found there. The city's location in ancient times east of the Jordan, on a narrow tongue between the river and the Sea of Galilee, necessitated building the main fortifications on the southern side. Here, where the Jordan now flows, the city lacked natural defenses in ancient times. The settlement at Bet Yeraḥ flourished again in the Hellenistic period. It has been identified with Philoteria, a Ptolemaic center, captured by antiochus III in 198 B.C.E. and also mentioned among the cities conquered by alexander yannai (according to George Synkellus, 1:559). Remains uncovered from this period include a stone wall with vaulted openings and several houses, some with floors, plastered and painted walls, and windows overlooking the lake; numerous Rhodian stamped jar handles were also discovered. In the early Roman period, a large Roman structure, covering an area of 105 × 59 ft. (32 × 18 m.), was erected on the ruins of the Hellenistic houses on the south. A large rectangular fort built of dressed masonry with towers at its corners was constructed on the northern part of the tell in the third century C.E. From this period there are several reports of a mixed Jewish-gentile population at Bet Yeraḥ (TJ, Meg. 1:1, 70a). After the Bar Kokhba war, priests of the Haaziah family settled there. The verse "Naphtali is a hind let loose" (Gen. 49:21) was interpreted by rabbis of the time as referring to Bet Yeraḥ, the territory of which was "entirely irrigated" (Gen. R. 98:22). The statement in the Jerusalem Talmud (loc. cit.) "The city was destroyed and became the possession of gentiles" also alludes to some event which occurred in the third century at Bet Yeraḥ or in its vicinity. In the fourth and fifth centuries, the fort seems to have been abandoned and its southern wall was used as the northern wall of a bathhouse. Excavations have shown that the bathhouse, the water for which was conducted through earthenware pipes from the aqueduct of tiberias , had a central hall with a circular pool in the center and heated rooms. In the fifth century, a synagogue was built within the fort. It was basilical, with an apse oriented to Jerusalem, and was one of the largest contemporary synagogues in the country, 121 × 72 ft. (37 × 22 m.). Its foundations have survived as   well as part of its mosaic floor depicting a citron tree, a man and a horse (possibly a representation of the story of Mordecai and Haman), and also the base of a column incised with a seven-branched candelabrum. North of the synagogue, a Christian church was built, basilical in form, with a central hall and two aisles; an atrium containing a well lay on its west side. The church had been enlarged to the north by a baptistery with a mosaic pavement dating from 529 C.E. Bet Yeraḥ was resettled in the seventh century after having been destroyed during the Persian or Arab invasion, but it was abandoned shortly afterward and reoccupied only in recent years. In 1945 an agricultural secondary school for the settlements of the Jordan Valley was built south of the tell and in 1949 Oholo, a conference and study center in memory of berl katznelson , was erected north of it. Oholo opened in 1957 on the initiative of Ben Zion Yisreeli of Kevuẓah Kinneret, a leading personality of the labor and kibbutz movement. It houses courses for soldiers after their discharge; a teachers' seminary, principally for students hailing from Middle Eastern countries who intend to teach in immigrant villages and development towns; and a field school of the Society for the Preservation of Nature. -BIBLIOGRAPHY: Maisler et al., in: IEJ, 2 (1952), 165–73, 218–29; P. Bar-Adon, in: Eretz Israel, 4 (1956), 50–55; Albright, in: AASOR, 6 (1926), 27ff.; idem, in: JPOS 15 (1935), 200; Sukenik, in: JPOS, 2 (1922), 101ff.; P. Delougaz and R.C. Haines, Byzantine Church at Khirbat al-Karak (1960). (Michael Avi-Yonah / Efraim Orni)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Tel Bet Yerah — Sennabris Localisation Pays  Israël …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Beth Yerah — ▪ ancient site, Palestine also spelled  Bet Yeraḥ , Arabic  Khirbet Kerak        ancient fortified settlement located at the southern tip of the Sea of Galilee. Beth Yerah was settled in the Early Bronze Age (c. 3100–2300 BC) and was also… …   Universalium

  • Rafi Greenberg — (Rafael) is a senior lecturer in archaeology at Tel Aviv University. [ [http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/archaeology/directory/dir rafi greenberg.html Department of Archaeology Dr. Rafi Greenberg ] ] Ph.D. Hebrew University, 1997M.A. Hebrew… …   Wikipedia

  • KINGSLEY (originally Kirschner), SIDNEY — (1906–1995), U.S. playwright. His first success was Men in White (produced by the Group Theater in 1933), a play with a background of hospital life which won a Pulitzer Prize in 1934, and was made into a motion picture. A meticulous researcher,… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • JORDAN — (Heb. הַ)יַּרְדֵּן), river flowing from the Anti Lebanon mountains south through Lake Kinneret and emptying into the Dead Sea. The name Jordan is first attested in the 13th century B.C.E. Papyrus Anastasi 1 (13:1). In the Septuagint the Hebrew… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • ARCHAEOLOGISTS — From the beginning of modern archaeology many Jews have contributed to the work in all aspects of the field. Classical Archaeology Classical archaeology developed mainly in the German speaking parts of Europe, and by the time Jews in these areas… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • NATIONAL PARKS IN ISRAEL — NATIONAL PARKS IN ISRAEL. The National Parks Authority was established by law in 1963 to take over the functions carried out from 1956 (with the same staff) by the Department for Landscaping and the Preservation of Historic Sites in the prime… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Histoire de la Palestine — L histoire de la Palestine est la présentation des événements dans la région de Palestine au cours de l Histoire. Cet article s en tient aux travaux des historiens et des archéologues portant sur cette région. Pour les sources bibliques et… …   Wikipédia en Français

  • KEMPINSKY, AHARON — (1939–1994), Israeli archaeologist. Brought up in Nahariyyah, Kempinsky participated as a teenager in 1952–53 in P. Delougaz s excavations at Bet Yeraḥ. His academic studies were undertaken at the Hebrew University and it was there that he… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Tel Arad — Debir du temple israélite d Arad (âge du Fer) Localisation …   Wikipédia en Français


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.